Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Timeless - stewed quinces

As you can tell, I'm ever so slightly obsessed with quinces. It was another delicious treat I grew up with. You could only buy quinces around Winter time so they were considered very special in our family. Now I love making them for my family. When I see them in the shops each year I just can't believe the time has flown by that quickly.

If you want enough for 4 people with no leftovers, use 2 medium quinces. Grab a pot, add to it about 2 cups of water and a cinnamon stick. Now peel your quinces, cut them into quarters and cut out the tough core (make sure you get all of the core as it doesn't taste very nice even after stewing) Throw in your quinces and about 1/2 cup of sugar. You could add 3/4 of a cup if you like, depending on how you will use the quinces. If you're just eating them as is, then more sugar would be required. Now simmer over a medium-high heat for about 40 minutes or until it's reached your desired softness. Take them off the heat before they get mushy.

Serve with some honeyed yoghurt; beautiful with vanilla icecream (make sure you add some syrup too) or pop the quinces into an ovenproof dish along with a little syrup and top with a simple crumble mix and brown in the oven or under a grill. Serve with a big dollop of cream.

I love the smell of stewed quinces. They always remind me of roses...

1 comment: