Tuesday, June 29, 2010

How sweet it is - Stewed Rhubarb Icecream


My Mum bought me a lovely bunch of rhubarb from the local produce market in Kiama. I thought maybe a Rhubarb crumble would be a nice warm treat. I looked in the cupboard - everything I needed wasn't there. I knew I didn't have ingredients to make muffins or a cake either......hmmmm, what to make?.......Bing!
Stewed Rhubarb Icecream. This dessert is really easy to make and can be made well in advance. If you've got rhubarb to use up and some icecream in the freezer - you're all sorted!

ingredients

300g of rhubarb cut into 1 cm pieces
1 and a half tablespoons raw sugar
1/4 cup water
400g of icecream of your choice (I used Streets Blue ribbon Vanilla icecream)
Brown sugar to serve or caramel sauce if you're feeling fancy!

how to make your Stewed Rhubarb Icecream


Chop up the rhubarb and pop into a microwave proof dish with the sugar and water. Pop the lid on loosely. Put in the microwave for 3 mins. Stir. Then pop back in the microwave for 2 mins. The rhubarb will be very hot so be careful. Set aside to cool (I allowed 40 minutes). Mix stewed rhubarb with icecream quickly and spoon into bowls. You could also mix rhubarb with icecream and place back in freezer until your ready to serve. It's up to you. To serve, sprinkle each bowl with a little brown sugar over the top. Serves 4.

I think a home-made caramel sauce would also taste delicious over this dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment